Saturday, November 18, 2006

Highway AIESEC


http://www.aiesec.org/

Memories of my earliest AIESEC days includes a 3 day Local Training Seminar where participation did not guarantee immediate membership.Ten years ago, AIESEC in Port Harcourt in the mind of a new undergraduate was an organization which provided the cutest girls and guys on campus opportunites for socializing. Like a number of people I met during my AIESEC years, I joined AIESEC for social reasons.

Passionate engagement began for me when tasked with accommodation responsibilities for a regional program hosted by my LC. From that time onwards, it was difficult to let go. Being able to learn from the everyday challenges and also seeing the value added through my participation, AIESEC became the focus of my university life. Several years after, I still run into people who ask me “Are you still doing AIESEC?”

I challenged and developed myself over a 6-year period by pursuing roles such as Organizing Committee Vice President, Member Committee President, Regional Chair, International Facilitator and Trainee.

Personal development came from the learning experiences shared with other AIESEC members and trainees. It makes me glad every time I interact with AIESEC members these days to see that though these learning experiences have evolved, their benefits have not changed.

AIESEC provides two types of learning.
Formal learning experiences shared with members and trainees within a structured environment such as a conference or a classroom,. The other type of learning is informal learning, which though most times shared; its value adding potential is subject to individual perceptions and receptiveness.
It is within the formal learning environment in AIESEC that I found my personal values change.
As a delegate, facilitator or conference chair, I learnt to be open minded and receptive to perspectives different from mine. Informal learning came from the challenges I had to deal with and the opportunity choices I had to make.

My high points in AIESEC were the good and bad times. I learnt from every good and bad experience, because AIESEC teaches continuous learning.

As part of leadership teams at various levels of the organization, I became more skilled at thought leadership, people management and strategy building.

The values of AIESEC gave me some of the foundations on which I am building my professional and personal life today. My attitude in any situation I find myself is defined by my enthusiasm to demonstrate integrity and seek excellence in everything I do.

I look back to my active AIESEC years and know that I could not have lived those years any different if I got another chance.

No comments:

Free Blog Counter